Friday, July 13, 2018

Gilmore & Jane's

When I purchased a copy of H.H. Gilmore's "How to Build a Model Navy", I was fascinated by his model drawings, and how they compared to the prototypes.
Most of them were a bit dubious.
The basic shapes were there, but there were a variety of problems with the details.
The answer came to me by accident with the arrival of a copy of " Jane's Fighting Ships 1906-1907". I decided to look up the Arkansas class monitors, to see how their armor was distributed, something Jane's did quite well.
When I saw the drawing, I recognized it immediately. It was almost identical to the one Gilmore used for his USS Ozark, the former USS Arkansas.
As the most recent Jane's I have is 1931, I wasn't able to verify the more recent designs from Gilmore's book, but I did confirm that the USS Pennsylvania was, again, almost a match, as was the four stacker destroyer.
Knowing this, it is easier to forgive Gilmore. He simply went with the best information he had available, which appears to have been Jane's.

No comments:

Post a Comment