Monday, June 4, 2018

Shall I Begin Again

I suppose it was bound to happen.
As I started getting into model warships again, I strayed. My goal was pure, or so I assumed. It was to build a motorized fleet of models. To that end, I wrote on my maritime history blog about a series of small model ships that were indeed designed to be motorized (or at least had that potential).


This is when I went astray.
There were three kits I wanted to build that fell outside of that purview. These kits, two Lindberg) former Pyro) kits, the Zuikaku and Yamato in 1/1200, and a Lindberg 1/1150 Musashi, were simply models I wanted to try out. The two former I had never built, though I did have experience with the origin of the latter, the original Lindberg Yamato.
These models were an attempt to see what I could do. The Zuikaku was the only one of the three to be built from the box. The Lindberg nee-Pyro Yamato is based upon the older Aurora Yamato, and needed much correction, and so I did. 


The Musashi, however, sealed my fate.
I drastically corrected the model, over-correcting in one area. The model was cut to waterline, over-corrected the bow (I made it too wide from its previous too narrow), and corrected the sheer. Yes, the model is oversimplified and has many other problems, but the end result was that it now even more resembled that legendary ship.


And I found myself smitten with miniatures.
Some clarification. 
My definition of miniature is any model less than 304mm (12") in length, less than 1/900 scale. This means that a great many of my 30cm range models, most in fact, do not qualify as true miniatures. And there are indeed many models that fall into this range.
Beyond kits, however, are the old, die cast models and toys that sometimes make a pretense towards being scale-like, others that are purely toys. There are abandoned wooden models built at some point in the past. Then there are collectibles.
All shall be welcomed here.
I suspect my output will be sporadic, but I hope that it will be nonetheless interesting.
So, welcome aboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment